Sunday, May 22, 2011

Week 2

Common for students to just rent a bed in home

Dyed salted eggs. Buried in earth/salt and then cooked

I did not eat this for lunch. My partner did! But I did taste pigs tongue (not bad) 
“sonu ਕਿੰਨਾ ਚਿਰ ਹੋਗਿਆ?” asked one PJ man and I responded w/ “sonu ਕੋਣ ਹੈ?” LOL! forgetting that ਤੁਹਾਨੂੰ becomes sonu with the PJ’s from Moggah(sp?), closer to Ludhiana, I’m gonna guess  other side of the Jallahdhar river.  Started a Bible study this week  with an entire family, mum/dad whose daughter had already been studying.  Followed up on some calls found during the Memorial campaign.  One woman had asked where are the dead and for a Bible (which we don’t’ have), her husband died 20 yrs ago at age 30.  She has 3 adult children (23-29 yrs)  We were there for 2 hours with all of them, plus later,  ਨਾਨੀ-ji comes over, and sat in.   One son asked over 30 questions! Talk about spiritually starved!  The kids only read Tagalog so it will be a study with me conducting in PJ, the sisters in ਟੁੱਟੀ-ਫ਼ੁੱਟੀ English, and then with me translating for them while the kids read in Tagalog with mum following along in PJ.  I think at some point I’m gonna have to learn Tagalog. (no time!)  - Wonderful humble spiritually starved family, only thing, the kids called me “Aunti!”. (ugh!).  Invited me to stay with them should the need arise and if I need any help with at all etc.  Just so kind.  We call back again Thurs. eve.  Afterwards, on our way to catch a Jeep we saw a RV outside her house w/her sister – The sister I was with  started to witness to them, but they were not interested and brushed her off. So we went to the neighbors house instead where I spoke loudly (on purpose off course J).  Few minutes later, the 2 ladies slowly scooted to my side of the door, and were listening, after finishing up the door I went to them and they were totally interested.  Seems like there is a kind of rift between the PJ’s and the Filippinos (look down on one another).  Then a grandma, who talks louder than me,  is coming home, listens and then yells, “when is this gonna happen?”, I laughingly said, “am I God?, how can I know but . . .” and she interrupts with, “you speak God’s word, you speak as if you know what He is saying, so tell us”. Meanwhile, the neighborhood (philippinos) kids, maid, have gathered around us (excited to see a foreigner), we set up a time to call back next Thurs pm.  Then one more call on the way home, and again 2 neighbors – one was home but would not come to the door but the other, the  couple was coming home, so we talked to them and the Husb. wanted to know why I am here from the USA etc – he was impressed and wanted to know more, so he said to come back next Thurs pm and they would have dinner for us and he would invite the neighbors too so they can all listen and understand what  “this is all about” (sounds like Cornelius) .  So not sure how much we can fit into one Thurs evening. Tired. Crashed once I got home.  So I have not yet explored my surroundings, except for one attempt to get to a large grocery store. I was given directions but still not sure where the Jeep would drop me off, so I asked the passenger next to me, and she happened to be going there too, while walking she wanted to know why I am here from the States, I explained I am a Bible Teacher, and teaching the Bible for free, and she was surprised with it being “free”, and mentioned that she wants her children to study the Bible. So I gave her English mags, and exchanged cells. 2 hours later she text me for the address to the WT building, which I gave her, so she may come Sunday.  Similar thing happened on way to meeting yesterday, placed mags, and she and her husband may come to a Sunday meeting too.  Being a foreigner here enables me to preach while traveling with ease to the filippinos who, know JW’s very well,  are very touched that one from the USA would come to their land to teach the Bible for free. On the downside, homesickness has kicked in hard. I had a slight case of food poisoning and wanted to get on the 1st flight home – but this was after having to walk in sewage water (common on rainy days  - soooo gross!!!),  attacked by mosquitos (at a door step study, unable to leave – I can feel the blood being sucked out of my ankles – it was awful!) bad public bathroom experience at the immigration office(unmentionable – this story I can only tell after a shot of tequila) water issues at home (fixed now) No microwave (friends might loan me one)  no laundry machine,  no car, cockroaches, the heat (to get a taste of field service – pls turn up your heat to 100, close all windows/doors and now do some exercise-that is how it feels- the walking/public transport ) , scared to eat stuff , limited internet (due to condo building and servers overloaded) , no TV, no Lie To Me, no popcorn nights, no parks, no beaches, no lakes, no greenery, no blue sky, the constant NOISE, the constant POLLUTION (its really bad) , not knowing Tagalog really is a hindrance (most do not know english) ,  no this, no that, blah blah blah whine whine . . . (and yes, I would like some dark chocolate with my wine) anyway, it was  BAD!  A bad few days, but nothing like getting sick (just the 24 hour flu) to make you long for home.  But Jah’s encouragement came in many forms. Meeting that night  - bros. from the School for Single Bros conducted the entire TMS and the various parts.  Sat was the 1st PJ class (fun) – a light lunch outside bethels’ tables w/umbrellas -  (the sisters made sandwiches in “wheat” bread for me J so cute) then, started a wonderful touching bible study, and then some came over to my place after and wanted to watch my videos from USA, which I think helped me more than them.  They loved “meeting” my congregation.  And tomorrow after meeting I am taking the afternoon off and friends (such a gift from Jah these ones are)  are gonna take me to a mall this is designed for foreigners.   Should be refreshing.   I have also decided to not do my own laundry anymore.  I did one hamper in the shower, 10 buckets of water later and a terrible backache afterwards ((for a taste, take a large beach towel, drench it completely, and then try to wring it dry) just not worth it, I can pay 40 pesos per 1 kilo – ugh!  Living in a Third World Country is not easy.  Harder than I thought.  But still – the PJ people here are hearing the Good News for the 1st time in their mother tongue and from an Indian person.  That is priceless.  It outweighs the struggles.   The spiritual joys are seriously incomparable - I can say I’ve never experienced anything like it – this ministry here is unique.  But endurance, focus and refocus is needed.    

No comments:

Post a Comment