Monday, May 30, 2011

Week 3

1st PJ Class in the Philippines -26 students. 16 weeks.

Me helping with the ਓ ਅ abc pronunciation - (Sujata and I both assist with this)

Sujata (left) new Bible study (in yellow) attended her 1st meeting after 2 discussions.  


Well, a much much better attitude this week! Homesickness has subsided for now and I made it thru NGM#1 (need-greater meltdown #1 – so I’ve been told) – busy week.  Visited about 20 homes – all good discussions.  The Thursday family studied – the 23 yr daughter asked, “so .  . .who is Jehovah?  Because I want know more but I don’t understand what this Jehovah is.” She asked for a bible study.  Also she came to her 1st meeting yesterday (Sunday - she is in picture wearing yellow). Enjoyed it and said mum will try to come next time.  This family has been thru so much hurt that they do not associate with any PJ’s. Only Filipinas. Hurt and betrayed they do not trust “their own”.  So trusting me is a big deal.  Another whole family (mum/dad/2 daugh -1 deaf) had their 2nd study on Sat. and their visiting Aunt sat in too. They were waiting for us. Pakoras/chai were already prepared when we arrived. Then, they washed the dishes, cleaned the table, and then without being asked, got extra chairs and their books and were “now ready” to study.  I was touched by the respect they showed for the occasion.  They live far – takes us an hour to get home via Jeep and bus and Jeep again, but not due to the distance but because of insane traffic. Sunday we visited 7-8 (I lost count) new homes.  They already had our literature. 6 of them are scheduled to call back in 2 weeks.  The interest seems to be in the “end of the world” ਸੱਚੀ ਹੈ?  They truly thought May 21st was for real (one man would not leave his home cuz afraid “the end” was coming) and also most think the movie 2012 is for real.  (!!)  So they are quite interested in knowing what the Bible has to say about this.  This discussion leads into the BH book, the chapter on The Last Days.  The final home we visited yesterday wins the prize.  I was beat and didn’t want to talk anymore. So I asked my partner to talk. But as I listened to her, it was like “a burning in my bones and I could not hold it in” (LOL! Sound familiar). This lady is spiritually famished. She said that when she reads her granth at home or prays at temple “I am crying inside of me, and I don’t know why . . .didi, why are our PJ people living here in the PI so dirty? They seem to be more immoral than PJ’s living elsewhere in the world.” (this btw is a fact –they are extremely immoral here –prostitution the norm - too much free time – bored).  Then she wanted to know why we can’t come back next Sunday (we have English SAD) – she wanted to take my Bible – and said “ I want to read more, its pulling my heart” – So I explained and she demanded that when we come back we give her at least one hour! Off course we agreed. She will be the 1st call on that Sunday.   This is just a highlight of my favourite calls. But every home we visited was a good discussion and has been set up to call back on that same Sunday.  Its overwhelming!  But very satisfying. The Filipina lady I met on the Jeep did not come to the meeting but she texted me saying “I am depressed and confused”, so I text her some scriptures and time will tell if she responds.  Weather has been cooler this week due to the rain. The rainy season lasts till November.  BSSB (Bible school for single bros) graduation was yesterday. I heard that most were re-assigned back to their home cong.   A few received diff. assignments - and  . . . 1 was invited to be a temp-Special pioneer in the PJ field!!! Exciting yes, but we still don’t know where he will be assigned since there is a PJ need all over the PI.  Last Tuesday I was pick-pocketed on the MRT (subway).  They got away with 2000 pesos.  The MRT gets super-super insanely crowded – (for a taste – go to the Harts downstairs bathroom.  Put no less than 100 people inside.  Then, forcefully and painfully uncomfortably, squeeze in 10 additional people inside.  Then, close the door and stand for 20 minutes.  You may text, call, and listen to music while waiting.  Then, allow 10 to leave but! – Wait for it - those 10 must be the ones standing at the opposite side of the door/back wall.  They may leave.  Btw you only have 30 seconds to let them out.  The rest of you remain.   Close the door. Wait another 20 min.) It’s a great experience. )  Next Sun. is English SAD. I heard it’s a non-air conditioned outdoor covered assembly hall – dress cool.  Followed by our CO visit.  Oh and here is one to add to my ‘book of horrors’ , I was checking my email on the 6th floor/pool area  last week and at the corner of my eye I saw a puppy ‘galloping’ and jump into the plants and as I glanced over, I thought, puppies don’t have pink long snake-like tails!!! It was a giant rat!!!  can I come home now . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment