Monday, November 3, 2014

It's "May" weather in November with Kristen

It’s ridiculously hot! Like the dreaded hot weather of May but in November.  Quite abnormal for the commonly called “ber-months” (Septem-BER  to Decem – BER)   Anyways, I ain’t gonna complain. So let’s go. It’s me and Kristen and we are going to do some “surveying,” aka: canvassing or looking for PJ’s via door to door, sight, smell or word of mouth.  As we walk in the burning sun (man! I didn’t put sunscreen on my calves this morning), we stop many to ask if there are any indians – and get many no, no and no’s.  Finally this one guy who can’t speak a word of English, says, “kasama. . . .moombai” amongst other lots and lots of Tagalog words, but I understood, “with you,” and “Indian”, so he basically says he will take us to one house in the subdivision. Let's just hope that that IS what he said. 
This is him taking us. Kristen is behind me taking this shot.  He makes a sudden right into an alley.  Another sudden left, sudden right, sudden left, alley way to alley way, and it feels like we are going thru a maze. I am already lost !  "Kristen, do you have your pepper spray?"  Kinda freaking me out a bit.  "Wait!" he yells.  something something, "umihi".  Umihi means urinate. He had stopped us so we wouldn't see the man peeing in the next alley way turn.  How considerate.  Then points to a house with huge "Merry Christmmas" sign and leaves! I am like thinking, "are you kidding me, we just risked our lives, in the hot beatin sun for this!, Oh come on! ".  This can't be angelic direction.  Meanwhile,  4 children have been following us all this way, and are watching from the corner wondering what these foreigners are doing in their neighborhood. Perhaps this is the first time they have seen a white american.  I knock and, as expected, a Philippina older woman opens the door. I explain i was looking for an indian, and she tells us that her son in law is PJ! We were floored! It was angelic direction!  But, the son is in India and will be back in January, so we made arrangements to return in a couple of months.  There is no way "humans" would have found this PJ buried in this maze of a Philippino sub division.  Jehovah must want this person to be found for a reason.  We will find out what that reason is next year!
As I witness to the lady, all of a sudden I hear this, KABOOM! KABAM! CLASH-CLUNK, noise! Thinking it's the children at the corner causing a racket, I turn to give them my famous evil look, but to my surprise, my partner Kristen is, in slow motion, falling flat on her butt, arms and legs flying and looking at me like, "PLEASE HELP ME! ".  Trying not to laugh, and trying to figure out how she could fall or trip on nothing we help her and continue witnessing.

I will let Kristen tell you what happened in her own words: 

                                                          *********************

My take on what happened that eventful sunday morning....

Finally after zigzagging and playing follow the leader,  . . .We have the attention of three bright-eyed, beautiful children, grandma, and a group of children who are curious as to what we are doing.  Really, all eyes are on us.  While Sukhi is preaching to the grandma, all three children are staring at me.   . . . "I can just show the Caleb and Sophia videos from my phone!" So, I prepare to take a seat on what appears to be some sort of "bench", but sadly it was all an illusion.  It was not a bench.  I prepare to take a seat, but oh no! I feel the earth below me move.  I realize this was not a good idea until it was too late and then CLANK, BOOM, CLINK, POW!  What I tried to "sit" on were merely metal awnings that were propped up by a measly flower pot.  Before I knew it, I fell flat on my bottom and when I looked up Sukhi was staring at me in pure confusion.  WHAT HAPPENED?! ARE YOU OKAY?!  The boys even rushed over to fix what I had just destroyed.  I eventually got to show the kids part of a video and then it was time to leave.  I have a feeling they will remember us when we return. ;)

**********************************************************************************


Above - the map "maze"  we drew on our way out of the subdivision so that we can find that house again in a couple of months. 
*************************************************************************************
Below: afternoon lunch at Bethel.  Sisters visiting from Ohio, USA and the younger brothers are construction workers from Australia. 

Below:  This is not the best way to rinse a dirty mop - in a street puddle of sewage/black/oily water.  You'd think the black water would be a clue. . .  ?! 












No comments:

Post a Comment