
Brother Erick picks me up about 8:30am and I quickly tell him that I am only going as a one time deal to investigate because my schedule is already jam packed and I just don't have time for this. (He tells me later that he was laughing to himself, "Who is this we have with us today, Jonah?" Why does everyone always calls me that!? I mean, just because I use to be Sue, and didn't want to talk to the 50+ door to door PJ's living outside my 1st cong,[which, btw, is unheard of] and didn't want to go to India and then didnt' want to go to The PI . . .Ok fine, I see why . . whatever! This conversation is over!)
So, back to the present. We are on our way to the Immigration Detention Center. English, French, Korean, Chinese and Tagalog publishers have been going there every Wednesday conducting studies, showing video's, RV's etc. We wondered if there were any PJ's there. Thus the Jonah intro. above.
There's a men and woman's sections separated. I decided to stay in the men's area and immediately the men on the other side of the fence started staring at me, I can tell, they're not sure if I'm indian or not. 1st one came to talk to me, then another, ended up talking to 3, but we believe there are 8-9 there. They were hesitant. The brother in charge of the program asked me to become a regular which off course I said yes. He said it's important for them to see the same face on a regular basis to build trust. Trust is a big thing in this form of ministry.
Note: this is not a jail/prison. A holding center until they are deported. So they are free to roam around within the fenced in boundaries. It's very small. One guy called it the United Nations due to the mix of foreigners there - Australians, British, Canadian, Chinese . . .
So why are they there? We dont' know, and we don't ask. We are only there to preach. No phones. No tablets. No camera's. No personal questions. One PJ man revealed what was in his heart: "I didn't ask to be here. But I had to do things that I would not normally do, sin, but life ਨੇ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਮਜਬੂਰ ਕੀਤਾ - life compelled me to do this. To take care of my family. I didn't ask to be here. So why god put me here I just don't know. It's kismet. I read James 4:8 - and asked him, "Do you know any God that invites sinners to him?" He shook his head. "Jehovah does."
Needless to say we are going back and praying that the others will approach us.

No comments:
Post a Comment