Picture the scene: we are conducting a study with a couple when the wife's cell phone rings. When she sees who is calling she is obviously not too happy and ignores the call. Phone rings -she ignores it again. It is an uncomfortable situation. But now we hear the front gate clunk, someone, the phone caller I'm sure, is coming in! I am afraid, and praying, that it not be "the opposer lady" or the "godfather", who just 15 min earlier had come across our path and tried to pick a fight because I will not attend a wedding at their gurdwara, "why not eh? what's wrong with it? if you won't attend our punjabi people's wedding then. . . .blah blah nonsense!" But no, in comes in an auntiji whom we do recognize but do not know her. We've tried talking to her in the past but she always shoes us away. hmmmm. Why is she here? She sits down and says, "the kids are out so I thought to myself, why don't I join you guys and listen." OK then. So we give her a quick rundown of what we just studied, i.e. satan ruler of the world, his anger, his end. She replies, "yes, John said that in Prakash-de-poti (revelation) 12:9, yes. satan knows his end his near." Silently I am like, " WHAT da?? did she just quote a scripture WORD! - FOR! - WORD! naaaaa!!! don't be daft! you must be hearing things!" So I continue preaching, and this 70-ish year old auntiji goes onto to quote, "the alpha and the omega, John 17:3, . . .WORD! - FOR! - WORD! The lords prayer, WORD! - FOR! - WORD! that false teachings will creep in as stated in rasula (acts) 20:28, and me? i am dumb founded. "how do you know this?" I gasp! In India, she has always been attracted to churches, so rather than attend temple, as expected, she just goes to churches, taught herself to read the bible, and since her eyesight is weakening she has forced herself to memorize scriptures. Her memory is amazing!!! She was finishing off my sentences when I would quote a scripture. Mostly Greek Scripture knowledge. She had seen us before, but was afraid of us thinking we were weirdos - cant blame her for that one- and no one in her family told her who we really were, on purpose. she is here on vacation. But one of our other studies in the neighborhood "accidentally" bumped into her and told her about us. For weeks she has been praying, looking for us and as she put it, "today, Jehovah's angels helped me find you."
PICTURE: Kamala Aunti.
Will we see her again? We shall see. We head back Tuesday.

No comments:
Post a Comment